Ideberries.com – We all love strawberries. These delicious fruits can get the attention of anyone. We always buy strawberries from the supermarket. But have you ever thought about how to plant & harvest strawberry?
Many of us even do not think that it is possible to harvest strawberries at home. But in reality, we can easily plant strawberries in our garden. The taste of homegrown strawberries will be different.
You will get the fresh strawberries. The harvesting will not be difficult as well.
You can plant it in the hanging baskets, containers, and in the window boxes. You just need to look after them to enjoy these delicious fruits.
What is strawberry?
Strawberry is fruit that is used for the salads, jams, pickles, juice, cakes, and you can also have it in your snacks. You can get both the fresh green strawberries and red and juicy strawberries.
Strawberry is the only fruit that has the seed outside. These are not berries. In fact, these are the members of the rose family. They taste good, look excellent, and smell nice.
The strawberry plant is perennial as well. That means if you plant it now, it will come next year at the same time, and it will keep coming for many years. Thought it might not get the fruit immediately, but once it starts, it will continue producing for the five years.
Strawberries are also used for the decorative purposes. In the Belgium, you will get a museum decorated with the strawberries.
In the strawberry museum, you will get everything that is made of the strawberry that might be the strawberry jam or strawberry bear. You can store the strawberries in the fridge for a few days.
Strawberry nutrition facts
If you will know how to plant & harvest strawberry, then it will be easier for you to plant them in your garden and to maintain a healthy, fit, and energetic body by the fresh strawberries.
Strawberries have many health benefits. It has vitamins, fibers, and high levels of antioxidants.
The antioxidants known as polyphenols are very helpful for the human body. Besides, these are also fat-free, sodium free, and cholesterol free.
It has low calories as well. It is rich in potassium and the magnesium. With one serving of the strawberry, you can get more vitamin C than an orange.
If you are concerned about your bone health, then you can have strawberries to get the healthy bone.
Strawberries have the mineral manganese that absorbs calcium and creates the enzymes that make your bone strong and also boosts your immune system.
It also helps in the proper functioning of the sex hormone. It had folate and potassium that is helpful for the bone mass.
If you are heading towards the fifties, then you should include the strawberries in your diet to lower your cholesterol level.
Strawberry has a plenty of health benefits. It can help for the overall development of your digestive system and can help you to fight against aging. It has an excellent source of the Vitamin C.
Vitamin C is well-known for strengthening the immune system and it has antioxidant as well.
The antioxidant properties in the strawberries promote the eye health. It can prevent the cataract that is one of the major causes of the blindness in the old age.
The vitamin C and the antioxidants are also helpful for the cancer prevention. Strawberries have ellagic acid that suppresses the cancer cells growth.
Strawberries also delay the aging process. It has vitamin C that produces the collagen.
The collagen improves the skin’s elasticity that ultimately delays the aging. It also fights the bad cholesterol and reduces the inflammation.
Another benefit of the strawberries is that it promotes the heart health and is also helpful for blood pressure.
It regulates the blood pressure and controls the weight gain. As it is rich in fiber, it improves the digestive system and helps in constipation.
Tips for Planting and harvesting strawberries
Do you want to know how to plant & harvest strawberry?
As mentioned earlier, it is not difficult. You can plant the strawberries in the hanging baskets, containers, troughs, strawberry towers, or you can plant it directly in your vegetable garden.
It will not demand a lot of space to grow and you will certainly enjoy watching it grow.
If you plant the strawberries in the winter, then you can expect a bumper harvest in the summer. Consider the following tips to plant strawberries.
• Start the plantation in the winter: This will be the ideal time for the plantation to get the fruits in the summer.
• Consider the sunny area: While planting the strawberries, make sure that you have got a sunny area for the plantation. It should be the sunny area, but the plant should not be exposed to the sun all the time.
• Allow the plants to breathe: Strawberries will need some room to grow. Hence, ensure that they have at least thirty cm of depth in the soil and forty cm between the rows of the plants.
• Do not cover it with water: If you keep the plants waterlogged then they will not find it easy to grow. You can plant the strawberries in the small mounds to prevent the soil from being too damp.
• Grow them in bed: The best place for the strawberries to grow is the raised beds. In this way, you can also control the environment. You can make a perfect bed by minimizing the weeds and with the use of strawberry food.
• Pick the Flowers: You should pick the first flowers to promote the growth. At the same time, you should also inspect the bugs and insects.
• Fertilizer: When the flower comes up, you should use fertilizers as the plants will require more energy to produce healthy fruits.
With these simple steps, you can successfully produce strawberries in your garden. It is not difficult to know how to plant & harvest strawberry.
You can follow the same procedure like other plants. But you need to be a little careful to control and minimize the insects.
You should also plant it in the right place and should give it enough space to grow. Besides, you should not waterlog the plants that will work adversely.